shabby

Monday, September 12, 2011

Family.

 Definitely a topic that has been on my mind a lot this past month, and especially so now, after the anniversary of 9-11. It is truly amazing how a sudden turn of events brings people closer together. The attacks ten years ago undoubtedly united the people of our country on a different level than ever before. We all now have something to relate to, even if it is a common fear for safety. None the less, I would say more people than ever before are truly "proud to be an American", I know I for one am (yes, I know this is cliche). I'm the person that gets choked up singing that uber patriotic Toby Keith song, and have totally been caught watching 9-11 remembrance commercials  over and over again. Point is, when times suck, people unite, bond, and form a family. In remembering 9-11, now, and for the many years to come....remember we are one nation, one family.

On a similar, but very different note....
It would be extremely easy to say this past summer has been less than ideal. Yet, in looking past all the sadness, I really do realize how much I have to be thankful for. As many of you may know, my dad had four children: Al, Susie, Mike, and me. While Al, Susie, and Mike have always been a special part of my life, I never got to live with any of them, and never got the true "brother and sister" experience. Dad--I know you were bad with computers, but I am positive you are finding a way to read this blog up in heaven. I want you to know...I feel like Al, Susie, Mike and I are closer than ever before. This past month we have grieved, laughed, and cried together...sometimes all at once! There has been plenty of wine, scotch, and of course cigars. I even "attempted" to smoke one for ya. Didn't quite work though, haha. We all love you and miss you everyday.

So today I am thankful for family. Today, tomorrow, and everyday. It's time to stop sweating the small stuff. Check out the big picture. Live a little, and be thankful always. My dad had a favorite quote. It went like this: "The main thing in life is to do well something that is worth doing. Care not for show; life is too short and too sacred for make believe." Dad did A LOT of things well...but most importantly, he was a great friend to everyone. From his wife and kids to the doughnut guy and the random waitress at Bill's cafe. He knew everyone, and loved everyone--just like they loved him. I've learned so much from you, Dad...and I will keep on learning <3

3 comments:

  1. Out of this valley of grief what joy you express in a fresh new appreciation of siblings! This notion is touching and I am so grateful you all have each other. Love, GM Sal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey pretty lady- I'm heartbroken to hear about your father. I am sure he's incredibly proud of you! Welcome back to blog-world. Hope the new job is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got such a wonderful outlook on life. After everything you've been through this year, you still manage to put a positive spin on things and that is a truly admirable quality. I'm glad Morgan thought I was worthy of bringing into y'alls lives, because you've been a wonderful person to get to know, and I look forward to many more years. Glad you're back from your travels this past week safely....when I get my new refridgerator and replacement groceries...I want to cook dinner for ya!

    ReplyDelete